Tuesday, November 1, 2016

FOIA Request

Before calling the Fort Worth PD, I figured it would be a good idea to take care of my outstanding speeding ticket and arrest warrant. I didn't want to be on the phone with them and then all of a sudden cop cars pull up outside my house to arrest me...that would have been awkward. SO, now I can get around to submitting my request pertaining to how many arrest are actually made due to outstanding speeding tickets in the city of Fort Worth. I know it happens because a friend of mine was sitting on his front porch when a cop car was patrolling the neighborhood and randomly decided to run his license plate. The police officer stopped and had to take him downtown because my friend had a warrant out for a speeding ticket. I definitely did not want to go through that trouble, or embarrassment! 

My request is down below. I called the Fort Worth Police Department to see if I could find a specific person to address my request to, but the woman just told me I had to submit it through the city. She also was not able to tell me if there was an efficient way to word my request in order to make it easier on them. I was disappointed how little she seemed to know. 


Hannah Kirkpatrick
10612 Highland Ridge Road Fort Worth, TX 76108
11/1/16

Records & Information Management
City Hall, Suite L31
1000 Throckmorton St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102

Dear Records & Information Management Agent:

Under the Texas Public Information Act, §6252-17a et seq., I am requesting an opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of public records that deal with the amount of arrests that are carried out due to warrants for speeding tickets only in the city of Fort Worth. I am only searching for records pertaining to arrests made due to outstanding speeding tickets.

If there are any fees for searching or copying these records, please inform me if the cost will exceed $10.  However, I would also like to request a waiver of all fees in that the disclosure of the requested information is in the public interest and will contribute significantly to the public’s understanding of speeding ticket warrants. This information is not being sought for commercial purposes.

The Texas Public Information Act requires that you "promptly produce" the requested records unless, within 10 days, you have sought an Attorney General's Opinion.  If you expect a significant delay in responding to this request, please contact me with information about when I might expect copies or the ability to inspect the requested records.

If you deny any or all of this request, please cite each specific exemption you feel justifies the refusal to release the information and notify me of the appeal procedures available to me under the law.

Thank you for considering my request.

Sincerely,

Hannah Kirkpatrick
817-480-4675
h.l.kirkpatrick@tcu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment